[xsl] Recursively Generating Menu and Sub-Menu items

Subject: [xsl] Recursively Generating Menu and Sub-Menu items
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:50:27 -0800 (PST)
Hello Everyone,

I'm still learning XSLT while also learning other languages
so it has been a little slow for me to pick things up with each language.

did some searching on my problem, and came accross a few similar threads but
the code they demostrated was rather large and contained unrelated code with
it, so it was a little difficult to understand the desired solution.

I want
to recursively generate nested menus with XSLT with the menu structured inside
an XML.
I have a sample XML structure which is supposed to represent a Menu
hierarchy as follows:

(Please note that I'm flexible with any other XML
structure that represents a nested menu, if it helps to improves the XSLT
solution)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<item>
    <name>Main
Menu</name>
    <item>
        <name>First Level Item</name>
        <item>
<name>Second Level Item</name>
            <item>
                <name>Third
Level Item</name>
            </item>
        </item>
    </item>
    <item>
<name>ABC</name>
        <item>
            <name>XYZ</name>
        </item>
<item>
            <name>PQR</name>
        </item>
        <item>
<name>LMN</name>
        </item>
    </item>
</item>

The desired output is in
the form of an HTML nested list as follows:

<ul>
     <li>Main Menu
<ul>
            <li>First Level Item
                <ul>
<li>Second Level Item
                        <ul>
<li>Third Level Item</li>
                        </ul>
</li>
                </ul>
            </li>
            <li>ABC
<ul>
                    <li>XYZ</li>
                    <li>PQR</li>
<li>LMN</li>
                </ul>
            </li>
        </ul>
     </li>
</ul>

I have tried to generate the above output with the following XSLT 1.0 :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

    <xsl:output
method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

    <xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:apply-templates select="item"/>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template
match="item">
        <ul>
            <xsl:apply-templates select="name"/>
</ul>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="name">
        <li>
<xsl:value-of select="name"/>
        </li>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Any help is appreciated.

-Regards
Rashmi
_______
Need Mail bonding?
Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from
Yahoo! Answers users.