Re: [xsl] Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re [xsl] XHTML html validation

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re [xsl] XHTML html validation
From: "Manfred Staudinger" <manfred.staudinger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:04:18 +0100
I've prepared two xml pages:
http://free.pages.at/staudinger/Regest/Namen/Rudolph_II.xml
the other one can be reached by _Rudolph_II.xml (note the
underscore before the name).
The first xml uses a stylesheet href="../view_names.xsl"
(which has indent="no") the second uses href="../_view_names.xsl"
(which has indent="yes").
Can you see the difference in IE 6 ?

Regards, Manfred

On 19/02/07, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Manfred Staudinger wrote:
> On 19/02/07, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes" />
>> IE6: dom
>> FF: dom (type HTMLDocument)
> Just a short remark: if you specify indent="yes" then IE does _not_
> eliminate
> all whitespace. This only occurs with indent="no".

I believe this is a misunderstanding: whitespace elimination is
something that happens when the source is read in, not on serializing.
Maybe this is a bug, but I never had any trouble or noticed any
difference with this on or off. For serialization (i.e., reusing and/or
stringizing the DOM representation of the result tree), the indent=yes
has no effect whatsoever (just tested with some XSLT files, I did not
see a difference at all, neither with FF).

But maybe I am mistaken and there are situations where this is a
difference. Can you point me to some example?

-- Abel