Re: [xsl] variable outside a for-each loop: second try

Subject: Re: [xsl] variable outside a for-each loop: second try
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:43:01 +0200
Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

Thanks again all for your help. I did not meant to be rude. But I felt
like I would ask a very simple question on the C++ newsgroup and
people would tell me to use C++0x .

You weren't rude, and I'm sorry if I sounded off-edge. But I find it a common misconception that learning a new paradigm (declarative / functional) + a new niche-language (xslt / xpath) + a new set of concepts (xml / schema / infoset) is easy. Likewise with C++. There may be wizards around that learned it in a couple of hours, but most human-like creatures I met took several years before they grasped the grand concepts and were able to tackle a serious programming task. Knowing that it takes most people several days for understanding what goes on in that creepy hello-world application with the std:: libraries.... I wonder how that compares to XSLT.

I have ordered an XSLT book,

Great!
I have a shelf full of C++ (stroustrup still being my best friend, but koenig / moo really *taught* me the language), but as of yet, my xslt bookshelf isn't nearly as full. Yet I dare say I've read all the books and I dare say I understand XSLT better than I do C++ ;) (but hey, that's just little mini-me talking)

No, I mean: one or two good books should give you all you need with XSLT.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma