Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?
From: "Kevin Brown" <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:59:52 -0700
While it isn't always appropriate for a vendor to post, in this case I
believe it would be acceptable as we are going to chime in with our opinion
on this subject.

Simply put, we hope that everyone believes their skills developing XSL style
sheets are a great investment. There is no substitute for these skills and
no product that could be developed that would eliminate the need for those
skills. To illustrate this point, RenderX has been providing XSL style sheet
development for our customers for years. We plan to do so for long into the
future. In fact, we are always looking for skilled people to assist us with
our customers' needs.

Applications of XSL FO are starting to reach into all aspects of business
now. Growth is definitely accelerating at a rapid pace. It may be surprising
to some but FO is used for everything from the budget of the United States
to your phone bill and 401K statement ... the tickets you bought online for
Cirque du Soleil and your eHarmony.com dating profile for the date you
brought along ... your software manuals, government legislation, patents and
even the daily threat assessment looked at by the President and Joint
Chiefs. Many, many applications, implemented all over the world.

To keep it growing and speed the current adoption, some tools are needed for
the simple documents -- forms, purchase orders, invoices, tickets,
statements. Everyday business documents are also a great use of the
technology, again extending the market applications.

In the end, we believe such things as VisualXSL will have quite the opposite
effect from what you are thinking. Automating the mundane and easy will
extend the use of standards like XSL and XSL FO, increasing the demand for
specialized skills to program, customize and create the complex.

Kevin Brown
RenderX, Inc.