Re: Performance Characteristics

Subject: Re: Performance Characteristics
From: David Megginson <dmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 20:19:20 -0400
David Halls writes:

 > Sounds good so this is probably irrelevant: Is the DSSSL
 > interpreted; if so, would the ability to precompile a dsssl
 > stylesheet into native code be useful? I think Manuel Serrano,
 > Bigloo's author, is interested in this.

It depends on how complex the code is.  Many DSSSL style-language
statements are simply declarative -- I'd imagine that something like

  (element LABEL
    (make paragraph
      font-weight: 'bold
      (process-children)))

is already pretty much precompiled by Jade into its component
information, and you would gain nothing.  More complex stuff (like
building indices) could gain quite a bit.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx