Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:53:58 +0100 (BST)
 > Would you care to make an outline of the sections of a FAQ?
hmm, yes, i would actually. if the baby goes to sleep early tonight i
will try to make an outline

 > As for the DTD, sometimes I think DocBook and sometimes I think of
 > using HTML 3.2 for now just to get some tagged text.

i dont use DocBook, so i dont know how it deals with examples. so far
as I can see, the ordinary structure (paras, lists, trivial tables,
headings) might as well be HTML as anything, and the meta stuff is
easy to do with ad hoc tags. but i am more concerned about
consistent tagging of

 - SGML examples
 - DSSSL specification examples
 - DTD examples
 - index terms
 - URLs

if DocBook has an obvious way of tagging each of the above, then could
someone familiar with it provide a 20 line example/template for a FAQ
entry?

 > Then there's the slight issue of coordination and collation.  50 FAQ
 > submissions on where to find the DSSSList archive would be flattering
 > but not nearly as useful as 50 submissions on 50 different subjects.

XI would assume that if one sat down and wrote a FAQ answer, one would
not spend a week on it. more like a day when one has an afternoon
free. so i dont see it as a real issue - i don't think i am going to
plan now to write a FAQ on `what is use of modes?', but not deliver
for 2 weeks. if someone writes it next week, we'll see it immediately
and drop our own plans.

by the way, another caveat - lets be quite clear that the DSSSL Doc is
not the Jade Doc. Yes, we want material on `what are the extensions in
Jade's RTF backend', `Why does the TeX backend not deal with my font
family' or `how do i do an identity transform with the SGML backend',
but they must be clearly separated.

sebastian