Editing [was Re: Iteration with named let]

Subject: Editing [was Re: Iteration with named let]
From: Dave Love <d.love@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Jun 1997 21:12:28 +0100
>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Paul> More than a bracket-matching editor, you need an editor that
 Paul> properly indents the contents based on the nesting. Then the
 Paul> close paren becomes strictly redundant: the indentation
 Paul> accurately describes the nesting.

Indeed -- one shouldn't read the parens.  With Emacs you get more,
too.  You deal directly with units like sexps (bracketed stuff) and
symbols for movement and cutting etc. (presumably like an
SGML-specific editor, but I've never used one).  In fact you do the
same with all languages, it just works best with the uniform Lisp
syntax.  (Inter alia `Jed' is a smaller editor with poor-man's
versions of much of this.)

 Paul> Note that Jade already supports over 170 procedures. That's a
 Paul> big picklist.

It might be useful (automatically) to put them in an abbrev list for
Emacs dsssl-mode, though I don't have time right now.  Is there
anything else that should go in it for Emacs 20?

Note also regarding navigating modularized code: that's what
facilities like tag files are for.  (Emacs' tags support is quite
happy with Scheme; the regexp support in the `etags' program should be
usable additionally to grok simple element definitions etc., though I
haven't tried.)