Re: Global Variables and JADE vs OMNIMARK

Subject: Re: Global Variables and JADE vs OMNIMARK
From: Mike Sosteric <mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 21:45:13 -0700 (Mountain Standard Time)

    W> Insert whatever functions will get you to the thing you want by
    W> walking around in the grove. It's important to remember that
    W> you always have the entire grove available and can use
    W> combinations of different functions (children, ancestor,
    W> select-element, node-property, etc.) to walk around in it.

I've been walking around for hours and I can't seem to get it. I seem
to be able to down the grove easy enough (process-first-descendant,
(select-elements (children (current-node), etc.  but I can't seem to
go up. I'm gonna bug you for more help. I hope you don't mind.  I have this
partial doc instance ...

<IXML>
 <HEAD>
  <DESCRIPTION><TITLE>THE TITLE</TITLE></DESCRIPTION>
</HEAD>
<BODY> ...</BODY>

I've tried a bunch of different examples and I won't bore you with the broken code. But the key is probably
understanding what this does

(define (get-publisher-name node)
  (let ((gr (node-property 'grove-root node)))
    ; do navigation magic here
  ))

what does "gr" mean here. I tried sticking that inside (parent (gr))
thinking it was a node but it is not because that doesn't seem to
work. I've also tried working with (node) but that hasn't got me above the level of <BODY>

Are you selecting the ROOT element here? (which in my DTD would
be IXML?)

If I pass <BODY> as current node like

(element BODY
  left-header: (get-publisher-name (current-node))

where do I start from?

can I also

(element BODY
  left-header: (get-publisher-name (parent (current-node)))

sorry to bug you.

thanks for all your help

mike