Conditionally appending a period?

Subject: Conditionally appending a period?
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:23:17 -0700
I need to conditionally append a period to an element's content if there is
not already one there.  For example, if the element is

<dec>foo</dec>  => "foo."
<dec>foo </dec> => "foo."
<dec>foo.</dec> => "foo."

Deleting the trailing space (if any) is obviously easy.

	I don't see an obvious way to deal with the period, though.  It
seems to me that someone posted a solution to the problem of appending a
period iff there is not one there already, so I went looking in the archive.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the relevant discussion (if in fact my memory
is not playing tricks on me).

	Can someone either give me a pointer to that solution, or suggest an
approach?

	Thanks.