Re: alignment in tables

Subject: Re: alignment in tables
From: Jany Quintard <quintard.j@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:23:28 +0200 (MEST)
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Pieter Rijken wrote:

> I cannot get the alignment of text in tables right.
> The table I want to format consists of 3 columns.
> Text in the first and third column is left aligned,
> while the contents of the second column should be
> right-aligned.
>
> An example table in SGML looks like:

>   <row>
>     <cell>first column</cell>
>     <cell>second column</cell>
>     <cell>third column</cell>
>   </row>
>
> I'm trying to display this as:
>
> first row         second row  third row
> \-------/  \---------------/  \-------/
> column 1       column 2        column 3
>
> I try to achieve this with the following DSSSL script
>
> (element table
>     (make table
> ;           display-alignment: 'start
>            (make table-column
>                  display-alignment: 'start)
>            (make table-column
>                  display-alignment: 'end)
>            (make table-column
>                  display-alignment: 'start)
>            (process-children)))
>
> (element row
>     (process-children))
Well, I don't know the cell-alignment characteristic. I get the result I
want by using quadding: on a paragraph in the table-cell ; something like
the following 5~:

  (element tbody
    (make sequence label: 'tbody
                    quadding: 'start
      (process-children)))

  (element (tbody row)
    (make table-row
    (process-children)))

  (element tfoot
    (make sequence label: 'tfoot
      (process-children)))

  (element (tfoot row)
    (make table-row font-posture: 'italic
                    quadding: 'end
      (process-children)))

  (element (entry)
    (make table-cell
      (make paragraph
          (process-children-trim))))

I am not sure this is the "good" way, but it work with the RTF backend.
See if you can adapt it to your needs.