RE: One file into many

Subject: RE: One file into many
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:21:53 -0400
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the trick,. I didn't thought about it. I am happy to see that you
still have the transform thread alive. Matthias, made some interesting
insights when he made some work on the query rule. As you know the query
rule and the transform rule are related because both share the same
query-construct.

Did you checked the grovea idl? You may have here some clues on how to
manipulate the grove. Also, tracing the parser is interesting because this
is where the grove is constructed. So, internally the Jade parts interesting
for a transform implementation are:

a) the parser/grove part (it provides you clues on how the grove is
manipulated, actually I only found node addition, but as soon as we
understand the grove structure we may add to the grove module new functions
like remove, update and probably add new node types. But I am still digging
in the code to understand the structure first.) The idea is that, if we
provide you with a grove manipulation API you are set for the
transform-construct part or the rule.

b) we need to know more about the query rule and the query-expression. In
that sense, James made in the "2" mode some interesting addition that could
simplify tremendously the query-expression. take a look at it. It resemble
the XPath language but for the element-match, we could check how to bring
this to the query-expression to facilitate the transformation rule
query-expression part.

ref for the "2" extensions is at:

http://www.netfolder.com/OpenJade/dsssl2.htm (check for extended patterns)

As soon as I get a better understanding of the parsing and grove part, I'll
publish the document for you to study, then I'll try to add a grove
manipulation API.

Keep the flame alive Brandon, we need help, and yours will be more than
appreciated.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx