Re: Producing Unicode output from Jade

Subject: Re: Producing Unicode output from Jade
From: Jens Poenninghaus <jpoennin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:03:32 +0200
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 04:10:15PM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Daniel Speck
> |
> | For &thinsp;, while Word '97 doesn't stop reading the input file, I
> | just get a small box instead of a thin space.
>
> * James Clark
> |
> | That's normal behaviour for any character that isn't in the current
> | font.

> Hmmm. That is interesting, but confusing. I am producing SGML output,
> so where does the concept of a current font come from? And how can I
> influence this current font?

You are probably mixing up the code for and the representation of a character.
eg. you have a certain code for the character "Latin Capital A"
- which is decimal 65 - and a graphical representation (glyph) for that
character ("A"). The glyph will differ from font to font as a font can be seen as a
mapping from the codenumber to the shape. (Uh, well, at least a kind of :-)
So your document contains the right codes but your (current) font doesn't
have the proper graphical representation. So you just see some questionmarks
or boxes instead. (as stated by Daniel/J. Clark)
It's like linking to a page on the web without having a connection to the internet.
The URL might be perfectly allright but you won't see the content!

> I suppose I could always install Arial Unicode or some such font, but
> it seems insane that I should have to.

If you have access to a Windows NT System you might want to have a look at the
'charmap' Try different fonts and different blocks (pages of characters) and
you will easily see the differences.

Lucida Sans Unicode (Biggelow&Holmes/licenced by $MS$) and Cyberbit (Adobe?) are
quite complete fonts.

Sorry for that lenghty answer.

Jens P.