orphan-count widow-count

Subject: orphan-count widow-count
From: Jany Quintard <quintard.j@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:55:03 +0200 (CEST)
Hi all
In the spec (12.6.6. Paragraph Flow Object Class) I find this :

 widow-count:  is a positive integer specifying the minimum number of
              lines of the paragraph that shall be kept together at
              the beginning of an area.  If the widow-count:  is n,
              then no break shall be allowed between the last n lines
              of the paragraph.  The initial value is 2.

 orphan-count:  is a positive integer specifying the minimum number of
               lines of the paragraph that shall be kept together at
               the end of an area.  If the orphan-count:  is n, then
               no break shall be allowed between the first n lines of
               the paragraph.  The initial value is 2.

But this does not seem to work when I output PDF files. I browsed the
archive and Norman Walsh stylesheets, looking for orphan and widow,
but did not find any hints. I looked at the current Jade limitations
too, without success.
Is someone using these characteristics ?
How does it work ?

TIA. Jany