Re: (dsssl) sdata entity mapping in sgml to sgml

Subject: Re: (dsssl) sdata entity mapping in sgml to sgml
From: jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:58:41 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Tony Graham wrote:

> jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx wrote at  6 Jun 2001 11:42:32 +0200:
>  > I am trying to transform SGML written in german to HTML, using OJ
>  > 1.3 and the sgml backend.  My problem is to output the entities
>  > .../...
>  >
>  > I thought that remapping the entities using :  <!ENTITY ae SDATA
>  > "&auml;"> in my input file should do the trick, but in this case
>  > I get the standard transformation &#65533;.  I browsed the
>  > archive, and there is a similar post from january 2001 (Stefan
>  > Dalibor), but without answer.
>
> I can't try any of these myself, but you could try:
>
> <!ENTITY auml SDATA "[auml ]">
> <!ENTITY ae "&auml;" >
This works fine. I am not sure I understand how it works (in fact, I am
sure I don't).
I suppose line 2 is used to map the translated entity to a standard
one and in this case, it is obscure that :

> <!ENTITY ae SDATA "[auml ]">
does not work, as it seems to be a shortcut. I actually began which
such a set of entities, but the result was bad :
For "etwas wählen"
<!ENTITY ae SDATA "[auml]"> gave "etwas w&#65533;hlen"
while
<!ENTITY ae       "[auml]"> gave "etwas w[auml]hlen" (that could be expected)

The difficulty is that I am not sure what part of the behaviour is
SGML's and what part comes from Openjade.

Anyway, thanks a lot Tony

Jany Quintard.