Re: (dsssl) Hypothetical question on namespaces

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Hypothetical question on namespaces
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:44:24 +0100
> Does it therefore follow that if you use XML namespaces in your document that
> the document is no longer an SGML document?

No but namespace parsing comes after SGML parsing (as, in theory it can
for XML, although in practice it tends to be bound up with the parser)

And in the case of dsssl/jade any namespace processing would have to be
coded by you in the dsssl stylesheet.
In XSL, which is natively namespace aware, you can declare rules for
an element called a in the namespace http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
and it doesn't matter whether that appears as <a href=".."/>  or
<xhtml:a href=".."/> or any other prefix, so long as the prefix (or lack
of prefix) is declared  to be for the xhtml namespace URI. But  dsssl
(like SGML and XML 1.0) see a and xhtml:a as different elements, so if
you want your stylesheet to treat them equivalently you have to code it
that way in the stylesheet.
(I suppose in some cases you could use architectural form processing to
treat such name differences, but to be honest I've been in XML too long,
what bit I used to know about AF processing has vanished:-)

David