(dsssl) Aborting (exit code 134)

Subject: (dsssl) Aborting (exit code 134)
From: daniel lance herrick <dan.herrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:25:46 -0400 (EDT)
I have about 19 large sgml documents with a
proprietary dtd supplied to Proquest as part of a
request for quotation. I am writing a stylesheet
(nowhere near finished) that writes them into a
couple thousand static html pages. This is my
first work in sgml, dsssl, jade, sp, or any lisp
variant.

The pictures were supplied with lowercase
names. Their invocations in the documents are
uppercase. I found case-fold-down in
dsssl-stylesheets-1.76/lib/dblib.dsl and copied
enough out of there into my stylesheet so I could
invoke case-fold-down (I still don't know how to
invoke dblib.dsl as an external entity from my
stylesheet).

When I invoke case-fold-down on the names of the
pictures and run the make file, I get:

jade -E5 -G -d GMErfq.dsl -t xml B90.sgm >B90.xml
jade -E5 -G -d GMErfq.dsl -t xml C90.sgm >C90.xml
make: *** [C90.xml] Error 134

(some sgm files succeed, some fail) When I run the
command from the command line, the result is:

[herrick@dabney dsssl]$ jade -E5 -G -d GMErfq.dsl -t xml C90.sgm >C90.xml
Aborted

So jade is printing "Aborted" and exiting with
exit code 134 (0x86).

Without looking at the jade source, it feels like
some complexity related resource exhaustion. Only
the first character of the names is alphabetic, so
I wrote my own normalize function (learning more
and more about lots of insipid silly
parentheses) and get the same failure on different
sgm files in the collection of 19.

Is this a well-known issue with a well-known
workaround?

I'm running the versions of everything that came
in RedHat 7.3.

[herrick@dabney dsssl]$ jade -v
jade:I: OpenJade version "1.3.1"
jade:I: OpenSP version "1.3.4"