Re: [dssslist] Conversion of dsssl stylesheets to xsl

Subject: Re: [dssslist] Conversion of dsssl stylesheets to xsl
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:57:35 +0100
>     Does anyone know if there are tools to convert dsssl
>     specifications into xsl sheets ?

Do you need to convert all the programming logic from the dsssl scheme
to xslt? This would probably be quite hard to do automatically (although
necessary if you intend to move your processing logic to XSLT, ie do a
one-off conversion and then maintain xslt from then on.

If the intention is to maintain the dsssl but to benefit from the wider
range of FO formatters, an alternative would be to keep the programming
logic in dsssl but to generate XSLFO format xml output, either by an
XSLFO output output option to jade (yes please:-) or by taking the
existing xml flow object back end (-t fot) and then converting that file
to XSLFO (with dsssl or xslt, according to taste) I'm sure I remember
discussion of such a converter but google didn't show anything.
Covering the whole dsssl spec would be hard but a basic converter for
some basic set of dsssl properties and flow objects wouldn't be hard,
probably.

David

http://www.star.net.uk