Re: [jats-list] Update requested for examples when citing standards

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Update requested for examples when citing standards
From: Bruce Rosenblum <bruce@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 18:10:14 -0400
Hi Debbie,

Please see my comments at BDR.

Bruce

At 05:06 PM 3/11/2014, Debbie Lapeyre wrote:
Bruce--

Great examples, thanks! See below as formatted for the Tag Library. I have
two questions, one for each note. You said:

>1. This markup leaves behind the <std> element and give greater
>granularity by using <pub-id> and <source>.

Why did you leave standard behind, when using the <std> element
as it was intended would be equally valid?

Here is your markup:

<mixed-citation publication-type="standard">
<pub-id pub-id-type="std-designation">ISO 832:1994</pub-id>,
<source>Information and documentation -- Bibliographic
description and references -- Rules for the abbreviation
of bibliographic terms</source></mixed-citation>
</ref>

Here an alternative, using <std>:

<mixed-citation publication-type="standard">
<std><pub-id pub-id-type="std-designation">ISO 832:1994</pub-id>,
<source>Information and documentation -- Bibliographic
description and references -- Rules for the abbreviation
of bibliographic terms</source></std></mixed-citation>
</ref>

BDR: You're right that std could be used rather than mixed-citation. I will admit to looking at the docs to quickly and didn't see that pub-id and source are allowed in std. However since the elements allowed within std are a subset of what's allowed in mixed-citation, and I can see a case where I might also want to use elements like size, publisher-name, or publisher-loc in std, it is more flexible to use mixed-citation. It also may simplify the transforms of DTD users if all items inside of ref are mixed-citation rather than a mix of mixed-citaiton and std.

You also said:

 2. CrossRef has just introduced the standard_designator element into
 the CrossRef query schema
 (http://doi.crossref.org/schemas/crossref_query_input2.0.xsd),
 and the content of <pub-id>, as illustrated here, will map
 directly to the recommended content for the standard_designator element.

 [emphasis mine] ***Please note that the year is considered part of the
 designator for a standard and is _not_ a separate semantic element
 in this context.****

The year as part of the <pub-id> makes perfect sense, since this replicates typical practice in naming a standard designator.

But I am slightly surprised that the year was not explicitly tagged as a
<year> element, IN ADDITION TO being embedded in the publication identifier.
I have a client that has been tagging their years in addition, thinking
that CrossRef would not recognize the year if it was merely part of the
source name or the <pub-id>. I have seen it in parenthesis at the end
of the reference:

<mixed-citation publication-type="standard">
<std><pub-id pub-id-type="std-designation">ISO 832:1994</pub-id>,
<source>Information and documentation -- Bibliographic
description and references -- Rules for the abbreviation
</ref>

Comment?

BDR: The vast majority of references to standards that I've seen have only _one_ year, and it's part of the designation. Should a standard have two years as you've shown, I would absolutely concur with the markup you've given above. But I'm working with the content I see from a wide variety of sources (both journal publishers and standards publishers), and generally unless the standard is cited as a book (my fourth example), only one year is present.

Here are your samples as given:

<mixed-citation publication-type="standard">
<pub-id pub-id-type="std-designation">ISO 832:1994</pub-id>,
<source>Information and documentation -- Bibliographic
description and references -- Rules for the abbreviation
of bibliographic terms</source></mixed-citation>
</ref>

<mixed-citation publication-type="standard">
<pub-id pub-id-type="std-designation">ISO 78-2:1999</pub-id>,
<source>Chemistry -- Layouts for standards -- Part 2: Methods
of chemical analysis</source></mixed-citation>
</ref>

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron

This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately reply to the sender or call 617-932-1932 and delete the message from your email system. Thank you.
Bruce D. Rosenblum
Inera Inc.
19 Flett Road
Belmont, MA 02478