[jats-list] Software citations

Subject: [jats-list] Software citations
From: Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:53:28 +0000
Does anyone have any examples of software citations marked up with
<element-citation>? I've been looking around the JATS document for
citations[1], and can't find any mention of software (though there are
examples for "web", "online" and "database" citations).

In particular, I'm looking to mark up a citation of this software:
http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/home/sparky/

Ideally, it would be possible to use the URL plus their recommended
citation string:

T. D. Goddard and D. G. Kneller, SPARKY 3,
University of California, San Francisco

and additionally mark up the version and operating system of the
software that was used.

As there aren't fields in <element-citation> for a version number or
an operating system, do people just use the standard citation fields
and then rely on versions, OS, etc being described in the methods
section?

Also of relevance is Mozilla Science Lab's "Code as a research object"
project[2], which encourages authors to archive versioned releases of
their software, and provide DOIs of those archives for others to cite.

Thanks,
Alf

[1] http://jatspan.org/niso/publishing-1.1d1/#p=tagging-references
[2] http://mozillascience.org/code-as-a-research-object-a-new-project/