Re: [jats-list] Page breaks in books

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Page breaks in books
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 17:14:52 -0000
Wendell b

Take a look at the second example of <index-entry>:
http://jatspan.org/nlm/bits-1.0/#p=elem-index-entry
Those <nav-pointer>s  have @rids that point to bpointsb in the text, e.g.,
rid=bidx13b
which could easily be set with <target> elements.

I think <target> with an ID (and possibly the page number as content) would
work far better in BITS than milestone.

b Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello JATS friends --
>
> My question today is about marking page breaks, specifically in BITS.
>
> As you know, one conventional approach to capturing information
> regarding pagination in an original or reference version of a text is
> to use empty elements as markers of page breaks, e.g. TEI <pb n="20"/>
> to show where page 20 begins or began.
>
> And this element will sometimes serve as a link target, i.e. <pb
> n="20" id="p20"/> can appear, and then a "back of the book index"
> which directs the reader to page 20 can point somewhere.
>
> While this may be a terrible way to do indexing in an electronic
> environment, we see this a lot, and sometimes better options are not
> available. (Maybe the text was already published long ago, and our
> choices are to use this index, or do without.)
>
> BITS has 'milestone-start' and 'milestone-end' elements, but the Tag
> Library suggests that if we are to use milestone-start to indicate
> where a page begins, we should also use milestone-end to show where it
> ends:
>
> "When this element is used, it is assumed that the end of the textual
> component is marked with a <milestone-end> element."

(http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/extensions/bits/tag-library/1.0/index.html?elem=mile
stone-start