Re: [jats-list] Table Subheads

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Table Subheads
From: "Rhiannon Miller rhiannon.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 09:05:38 -0000
Hi Gareth

We mark up tables in the XHTML model with the following rules

Main column heads are tagged as <th> within a <thead> element.
Table subheads are tagged as <th> within <tbody>, with an appropriate @scope
attribute, depending on whether the subheads are above the content they head
(@scope=bcolb) or to the left of it (@scope=browb).

The distinction between table heads and table subheads is therefore made by
whether they appear in <thead> or <tbody>.

We also have to deal with second-level and even third-level subheads. We
considered two options for dealing with these:
Add a @content-type attribute to the table header cells to identify
second-level subhead cells.
Split each section of the table headed with a first-level subhead into a
separate <tbody> element. The first header cell in any given <tbody> element
would be a first-level subhead, and any subsequent ones would be second-level
subheads.
In the end we decided to go with option 1 simply because it was much easier to
implement, even though itbs only a local solution. I still believe that
option 2 is the more robust solution for second-level subheads, as it is a
more semantic markup enabling the table structure to reflect the content.
However, it doesnbt cope with third-level subheads (unlike option 1).

I hope this is helpful. I would be interested in other ideas and solutions for
this problem.

Thanks and best wishes

Rhiannon

Prepress Projects
Rhiannon Miller b" Programmes Manager
+44 (0)1738 450489

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi JATS Listers,
>
> In discussions with one of our clients we realised there isnbt really a
standard way to markup table subheadings. See here for an
example:https://app.box.com/s/tg5cnluyw34cuzozfnbxbbf7r2gatfwn
<https://app.box.com/s/tg5cnluyw34cuzozfnbxbbf7r2gatfwn>

> The intent of column subhead markup is:
> B7         Mark one row (or two or more consecutive rows) as a subhead (in
addition to the main column heads)
> B7         Resulting in special treatment for the row(s):
> o   Appearance and styling (e.g. bold text or shaded background)
> o   Control PDF page/column breaks (e.g. keep row(s) together, keep with
next row)
> o   Repeat column subheads below main column heads (at top of PDF
page/column, after page/column breaks)

> In my example that would mean when the table continues to the next page, we
want the bCondition 4b row repeated below the bCondition/Pressure/b&b
column header row at the top of the next page. We would also avoid page breaks
between each bCondition Xb row and its following row.

> Is this something that has been tackled before? This particular client is
using CALS tables, but Ibd be interested in XHTML table solutions also. We
can handle the PDF side, but are looking at suggestions for markup of such
tables.