Re: [jats-list] Computer algorithms

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Computer algorithms
From: "dal dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 16:31:59 -0000
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Debbie wrote:
>> I had assumed that (like <preformat> as was suggested by
>> Daniel ObBrien) that algorithms were monospaced, and
>> that would take care of the alignment. Are OSA (and Marybs)
>> algorithms in a proportional font?
>
> It's not so much that; it's that, as Mirco has pointed out, algorithms
> are not just pure code. I don't know, for example, how to indicate
> shading or color in <code> or <preformat>, and it's a pain to put
> MathML or TeX in there. Either <fig>, as Nikos has suggested, or
> https://doi.org/10.1364/BOE.9.001423,  Algorithms 1b4

Shading and color in <code> are handled the same way
as shading and color in <table>, using <styled-content>.

<code> does not allow inline math.
<preformat> does allow inline math.

None of this means I advocate you change your practice,
I just wanted to make it clear what JATS CAN do and to
understand your requirements a little better. When I wrote
algorithms, they were pseudo-code, no more, no less, using
shading and color definitely. But I was not in the OSA field
of study, and I was a programmer rather a long time ago in
a limited number of programming languages.

Mirkobs post convinces me that I do not begin to understand
the range of typography inside an algorithm, but they
sound more and more like art, with keywords for searching
rather than searchable text.

bDebbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron