Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:39:22 -0500
Michael Kay wrote:

> - it imposes a requirement that the start and end tags be balanced. This is
> extremely restrictive: for example if you have two patterns, one for the
> first element of a group and the other for the last element in a group, you
> cannot generate a opening <UL> tag in the first and a closing </UL> in the
> second.

I strongly suspect that XSL will require this balancing *anyhow*. XSL
flow objects are not HTML *code*, they are HTML *elements*. I do not
think it makes sense to create half an element, though that might be
convenient. DSSSL's model does not allow these sorts of linear
dependencies between construction rules. For instance formatting the
last paragraph in a series of 10,000 does not require the formatting of
every one before it, in the DSSSL model. So there is no way to know that
the last paragraph actually occurs inside some <DIV> that changes its
formatting.

I agree with your other points.

[Woody Allen on Hollywood in "Annie Hall"]
Annie: "It's so clean down here."
Woody: "That's because they don't throw their garbage away. They make
        it into television shows."