Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:52:49 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 February 1998 12:20

>| I think in fact there is one kind of "complex pattern" that would meet
80%
>| of the requirement and would SIMPLIFY the language: namely "a group of
>| consecutive elements of the same type".
>
>Given:
>
>  <list>
>    <li>...</li>
>    <li>...</li>
>    <li>...</li>
>  </list>
>
>Do you mean a single rule that would match all the <li>'s
>simultaneously?

If the designer of the XML has been thoughtful enough to put a <list></list>
element around the group, then this capability is not needed, because I can
achieve everything I want while processing the <list> element.  Where it is
needed is with a structure like

</list>

Solving the problem by conditional logic on the first and last element of
the group doesn't solve the problem if the two bits of conditional logic are
unable to "collaborate" to produce a single flow object.

Mike Kay