Re: RTF Processor

Subject: Re: RTF Processor
From: Mark_Overton@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:34:12 -0400
I would love to use the Core Flow objects.  I originally went in this
direction.  I was unable, however, to find a clear and simple explanation
of these objects.  I looked over the DSSSL references that I could find but
everything was described in SGML terms and I had difficulty understanding
it (I have no SGML/DSSSL background).  Do you know where I could find an
explanation of the core flow objects which someone new to SGML could
understand.

Currently I have implemented the RTF component by using a subset of the
HTML flow objects (DIV, SPAN, etc.) and a few RTF specific objects
(RTFINDEXENTRY, RTFTABLEOFCONTENTS, etc)  The XSL processor component
doesn't care what flow objects it finds, it calls a method on the format
specific component to instantiate the flow object.  This setup would allow
me to easily change the flow objects that are used.

I still think there will be a need for format specific flow objects.  For
example, RTF allows a table of contents to be created.  I could build this
from core flow objects but this would not allow the page numbers to be
synchronized in the document.  Is there a DSSSL flow object for a table of
contents?  Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way?

-Mark