HTML Flow objects that span rules

Subject: HTML Flow objects that span rules
From: Ed Burns <edburns@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:27:49 -0700
Hi There,

This is my first post to the list so please forgive me if this question
has already been asked.  I didn't find an answer in the FAQ or in the
spec.

Is it legal for HTML Flow objects to span rules, or must each rule
produce completely encapsulated HTML?

Say I want to format some XML data into a table using the HTML/CSS Core
Flow Objects.  Assume the <TABLE> and other stuff is already correctly
represented.  The following XML lays out a row.  There is an HTML element
that opens at point **1** in the first rule and ends at point **2** in
the last rule.  Is this legal?

<rule>
	<target-element type="Header"/>

	<TR> **1**
	<TH><eval>getAttribute("RefName")</eval></TH>
		<children/>

</rule>

<rule>

	<target-element type="Cell"/>

	<TD><eval>getAttribute("CellValue")</eval></TD>

</rule>

<rule>

	<!-- special pattern to pick out the last "Cell" in a row -->

	<TD><eval>getAttribute("CellValue")</eval></TD>

</rule>

Thanks,

Ed