Re: XML + (XSL | CSS) ?

Subject: Re: XML + (XSL | CSS) ?
From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:48:54 +0100
Alain DESEINE wrote:

> I think that CCS is not a danger for XSL. You can do many things in XSL
> that CSS can't at this time. but the problem is not here, about
> discussing if CSS is better than XSL or not. I think that both can be
> used in different case. I also think that CSS designers will easily
> authoring XSL stylesheet because XSL know CSS caracteristics. I think
> that XSL is another way to embed style in XML files. As we can build a
> window application with many deifferent language (Visual Basic, C
> language, etc.), it's normal to have many Stylesheet language.

In my opinion in fact XSL does not only styles. As dsssl does it, it
can handle styles, tree rewriting rules, etc... CSS does only styles
for the moment. If we compare what can be compared, I mean CSS on one
hand and XSL style-rules on the other hand, CSS has now the leading
advantage. Not only because it is older and now implemented but also
because it is human-readble in a single glance. I have been in a
former life, six years ago, working on and with a so powerful but
complex style language that writing simple sheets could take us weeks
and sometimes months ! Even the developers' team I was a member of had
hard moments understanding some side effects of our specificity and
inheritance algorithms. I saw at that time developers & users,
individuals or industrial companies, totally lost in the fourth
dimension because our design tools were not
what-you-think-you-get-is-what-you-get enough.

Being now on the other side of the vendor/customer relation, I just
don't want to see this happen again, you see ?-) Simple and powerful
is better for our millions of *ML documents than complex and powerful,
that's all. Funny coincidence : it is often also better for
implementors...

</Daniel>