Re: XSL and entities

Subject: Re: XSL and entities
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 16:04:15 -0400
At 10:40 AM -0500 9/19/98, Paul Prescod wrote:
are you using? This does not look right.
>Nevertheless, you should know that you are probably doomed to failure
>using XSL out-of-the-box as a generic XML->foo conversion tool. That's not
>what it is meant to do and XSL processors do not support it well. Half of
>the messages in this fora are from people trying to do that and finding it
>difficult or impossible.

Which begs the question: should there be some other technology which does
allow fairly arbitrary conversions from XML->foo? Something easier than
writing a Java program on top of SAX?  What would such a thing look like?
I have a suspicion the pattern matching might look a lot like XSL, but the
output flow objects would be very different.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|        XML: Extensible Markup Language (IDG Books 1998)            |
|   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News:     |