RE: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: RE: alternating tags in a list?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:24:21 -0500
Hi Andy,

You said:

Didier PH Martin wrote:
>there is no real multi-OS technology for scripting. However, whatever the
>reason for, at least for script engines running on Intel provide the same
>Vtbl interface....

>Some systems like MacOS are based on a Pascal
>function call convention.

Just to point out that there is of course an existing object model for
scripting in the Mac, there are multiple scripting languages that conform
to it and most Mac applications are wired for it (far exceeding the
relatively recent COM interfaces published on Windows).  The AppleEvent
interfaces on Mac are extremely accessible to non-programmers and the
ability to tie programs together with scripting is one of the main reasons
for Apple's strong presence in publishing solutions. It has nothing to do
with the Pascal function call interfaces of the low-level Mac API.

reply:
You are totaly right to say that a standard scripting interface exist on
apple and thanks for bringing that point. But you seemed to miss the point
here. The argument was that there is _no_ _cross_ platform_ interface. And
that we have to redo the stuff for each platform. You just gave some fuel to
that argument :-))

So, my point was. It is possible to set one. If your point is that this
interface _should_ be the Applescript interface why not? if actual free
software (and therefore available source) is already supporting this
interface then why not? If that is not the case, then it is better to go
where there is already some investments in terms of code.

Question: Do Perl or Python (sources are freely available) have an
implementation already supporting the AppleScript interface?

I hope this time you understand the point. And I'll be glad to listen to
your answer and learn alternatives.

Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com