Re: More entity confusion and my opinion on the right way

Subject: Re: More entity confusion and my opinion on the right way
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 05:09:15 -0600
"Pawson, David" wrote:

> 'show me how to get from either the XML file (source document usage)
> or stylesheet introduced entity usage, without having to repeatedly
> look out the magic numbers.'

You can do this by using a file with many entity declarations in it. It
really isn't an XSL issue. It is to do with core XML. The issue is the
same in the input document and the stylesheet.

> What entity definitions should I use to keep it simple?

Whatever entity definitions you want!

> Can I use the same definitions in both my style sheet
> and source document?

Yes.

> given
>         <!ENTITY igrave CDATA "&#236;">
> can I then use this with its (relatively) meaningful &igrave; rather
> than the &#236;

Yes and no. Yes you can use an declaration and reference in this way. No,
you cannot use a syntax that is not legal XML. There is no such thing as a
CDATA entity in XML. That isn't what you want anyway. A simple entity
declaration will do:

<!ENTITY igrave "&#236;">

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"In spite of everything I still believe that people are basically
good at heart." - Anne Frank