Re: Understanding character handling

Subject: Re: Understanding character handling
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:54:12 GMT
>   The need for this is very real. If we can't write entity references in our
> result document, we're reduced to using all manner of horrible kludges to make
> our viewers see the right thing. Who wants to do...

> ... contortions with nbsp deleted.

Why is this a problem. &nbsp; is just the character &#160, so why do you
need to write `nbsp'. No machine parsing the result will care which you
use. It only `matters' if you plan on reading the result by eye.
If you want to write `&nbsp' in your stylesheet rather than remember the
unicode number, you can do that now, with the current draft. Just
declare the entity in your stylesheet. The only point at issue is that
the entity will be expanded by the XML parser that reads the stylesheet
and so the character (entity) will appear in the result rather than the
named entity, but since these should have the same effect in the result
document why does it matter.

I seemed to have switched sides in this thread somewhere along the way:-)

David