Re: GOTCHA!

Subject: Re: GOTCHA!
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:21:15 +0700
Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:

> From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >For output JScript I've been using what MS recommends ie.,
> >
> >          //<xsl:comment>
> >          <![CDATA[
> >               ...Script...
> >          ]]>
> >          //</xsl:comment>
> >
> >...which seems to work fine for the IE5b2 parser. Not sure how it would
> >fare for XT.
>
> Wouldn't, and rightly so.

It seems to work just fine to me.  Given:

<script>//<xsl:comment>
<![CDATA[
document.write("<P>Hi <B>Oren</B>!")
]]>
//</xsl:comment></script>

XT will output (correctly):

<script>//<!--

document.write("<P>Hi <B>Oren</B>!")

//--></script>

which when read by an HTML browser will do the right thing. (The first
// isn't actually necessary: Javascript ignores a leading <!-- in a
document.)

> Actually, an <xsl:cdata> tag would be the
> closest possible to the <xsl:not-xml> tag I'd like. It falls under the
> current intent; it ensures the output is valid XML; it is cleaner then using
> the <xsl:comment> tag; and it can be used in the same way to embed non-XML
> code in the output.
>
> Any reason we have <xsl:comment> and not <xsl:cdata>? Any chance we may get
> <xsl:cdata>?

I can't see how it would help you.

<xsl:cdata>1 &lt; 2</xsl:cdata>

would produce

<![CDATA[1 < 2]]>

which would be treated by XML processors the same as

1 &amp; 2

but would not work in HTML.

James