Re: GOTCHA!

Subject: Re: GOTCHA!
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:45:54 +0200
Keith Visco <kvisco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is also a bug in my implementation (xslp). I built my XSL
>Processor on top of XML4j 1_1_4. I will have to look for the -- and
>separate them with a space as suggested in the xsl wd. I also do not
>appropriatly change the '<' and '>'  found in the comment string back to
>&lt; and &gt; when I serialize the comment data. I will change this in
>the next build.

AFAIK one should _not_ convert '<' and '>' into &lt; and &gt; inside
<xsl:comment>, just '--' into '- -'. BTW, this is a truly unfortunate
choice - if the rule was to change '-->' into '-- >' then generated
JavaScript code wouldn't be broken as a result. Sadly it is required by the
XML standard (why couldn't they just ban '-->', instead of '--' itself?),
which is why we _need_ <xsl:cdata>.

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki