Re: whitespace

Subject: Re: whitespace
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:18:49 -0500
>Is there any good way to control whitespace in the html output from
>msxml.dll, I'm pretty anal retentive and want my intents, blank lines and
>such :)

Without getting into XSL (let alone msxml.dll) at all, I'd say the only
"easy" way to do it is by using the same techniques available to you if you
were crafting the HTML by hand. (Remember that HTML is no respecter of
whitespace: all whitespace gets normalized to a single blank character.)
The options:

(1) Wrap it all in a <PRE> tag. Downside is the serviceable-but-ugly
monospace font.
(2) Terminate all lines with <BR>s and paragraphs with <P>s. For the
indents, unless you're using CSS, you're stuck with the same goofball
workarounds that HTML itself requires: using tables and single-pixel gifs.