RE: Complex XSL Application (I think)

Subject: RE: Complex XSL Application (I think)
From: Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:27:19 -0000
> Well we are trying to archive 160,000 employee records from
> an decommisioned
> human resources system. (Each record aproximately 10k therefore total
> archive is around 1.6Meg).

You mean 1.6 Gig.

> This is Proof of Concept Trial in which we are
> trying to prove the capabilities of XML and XSL.  There fore
> we would like to as much as possible avoid the use of JavaScript and non
XML XSL
> technologies.

If you want to search a single 1.6Gb file serially for an employee with a
given ID, then I assume you are prepared for it to take a little while.
Fine. If it's archived data, I can understand why you don't want to put it
in a database.

But what you can't afford to do, I think, is load the whole XML file in
memory, which is what all current XSL implementations will try to do. This
is definitely a case where you need serial/stream/event-based processing.

Mike Kay