Re: Complex XSL Application (I think)

Subject: Re: Complex XSL Application (I think)
From: "Fredrik Lindgren" <f.lindgren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:42:36 +0100

Alberto Gomez Corona wrote:

> >There are quite a few actual applications designed to
> >take SGML/XML and create HTML. XSL is not one of them.
>
> crazy. just generating HTML from XML is the task XSL does.
> I wonder what are your interest on this XSL related list.

You are right that a lot of people succesfully use XSL to generate HTML
from XML, but it is not IMO designed for that purpose. It is designed to
specify presentation of XML documents. see the overview in the working
draft:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl#AEN51

In the overview it also says that you are not required to use the
formatting vocabulary and this opens the possibility to use it for
generating HTML. Still XSL is not _designed_ to do that. In many cases,,
tools that are specifically designed to do such conversion can be faster
and in some ways maybe easier to use too. (But they are applications and
not open standards).

To get at what XSL is really designed to do I think the right place to
go should be the requirements document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-XSLReq

I haven't done any checking on how well the current working draft
matches the requirements though.

Fredrik Lindgren
Information systems consultant
Upright Engineering AB