W3C-transformation language petition

Subject: W3C-transformation language petition
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:31:04 +0200

You said it:

>And given that a way can be found (display: window; maybe, although the CSS
>paradigm starts to get strained), shall we inflict such stretches of the
>CSS fabric every time we want to extend XSL?

And I'd say that it is "straining the paragigm" no more and no less then
adding <fo:window> to FOs would be straining the FO paradigm.

>As for the large body of your post that suggests broadly that the worth of
>FOs will be resolved by the market place... hmmm... I've one thing to say
>to you Oren..... *Windows* :P

I didn't say I _liked_ the fact that the W3C has delegated the choice to the
market. A "windows" typeof solution is all too probable; in fact I feel the
most likely outcome would be adoption of CSS using the current syntax, flaws
and all, which as I've said I believe to be the worst of all possible
worlds.

Nevertheless, it seems this is the way the W3C has chosen - by having two
standard ways to do almost exactly the same thing, each with its own
somewhat different tradeoffs. Imagine there were two incompatible mechanisms
for namespaces - say PIs and the current mechanism - and the W3C would make
both into standard recommendations.

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki