License???

Subject: License???
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:10:16 -0500
Hi

I got that in an other mailing form Chris Wilson from Microsoft. He says:

"I'd like to say I think that will happen, but I doubt it.  If you read
pretty much any other Member Submission to the W3C, you'll find that the
boilerplate says pretty much exactly the same thing - that you will be able
to obtain a license to use that IP, in exchange for reciprocal rights.
That's true of XSL, for example, as well as PGML, VML, and most of the rest
of the Submissions to the W3C (http://www.w3.org/Submission/).  Even before
this patent flap, you would still "need to obtain a license" to use, e.g.,
XSL, because the companies who made the original Submission said you had to
(not just Microsoft).  I think this is an issue to be raised with the W3C
and how it works."

<Question>
What's this license stuff? He seems to mean that to use XSL you need a
license from the companies (or individuals) who made the submission to W3C
(that should be W3C members). Does anybody knows more about his?
</Question>

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx