RE: The XSL-List Digest V2 #40

Subject: RE: The XSL-List Digest V2 #40
From: "Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:33:56 -0500
Didier PH Martin wrote:

> I read Tim's article in XML.com with interest (Ref:
> http://www.xml.com/1999/03/ie5/first-x.xml). Several comments are to the
> point, the critic well conducted and exact except one glitch....

Thanks for the pointer to that, very interesting.  But he forgot to mention one
major bug.  Display this in IE5:

	<?xml version="1.0"?>
	<!DOCTYPE doc [
	<!ELEMENT doc (#PCDATA)>
	<!ENTITY foo "bar">
	]>
	<doc>
	He stepped up to the &foo; for a drink.
	</doc>

No problem.  You'll see the XSLed rendition, with "&foo;" displaying as "bar".

Now add this after the XML declaration:

	<?xml-stylesheet href="foobar.css" type="text/css"?>

and create "foobar.css" to contain simply:

	doc { font: 18pt garamond, times, serif; }

Now display the document.  You will see the entity "foo" is missing, though the
styling is applied to the rest of the sentence.  Moving the xml-stylesheet PI to
after the DTD has no effect (nor should it).

I can only guess IE can't really display XML natively; it has to translate it
into some kind of Trident-HTML.  The reason for this guess is I reported to them
this same bug when IE5 beta 2 first came out, and it's still there -- evidently
they *can't* fix it.  Hard to tell -- IE isn't exactly open source, and MS isn't
exactly forthcoming on what it's doing with it.

/Jelks