Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: Stephen Ransom <sransom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:51:31 +1000
> It doesn't appear that IE5 (March 18th release) uses the DTD to validate
> XML, as did the IE5 Beta 2 release. Has anyone been able to make IE5 detect
> when a doc doesn't follow the rules of the DTD that it references?

I agree that IE5 appears to "lose" the errors in a well formed but invalid XML
document (ie one written in proper XML but which fails to meet its DTD
definition).

I note however that IE5 is aware of the DTD even though it will pass through a
failing XML document. This can be shown by adding a line of XXXX's into the DTD
itself (thus breaking the DTD's well-formedness). IE5 will give you an error
message identifying the XXXX's as incorrect.

Stephen