Re: XSL as a better XPointer

Subject: Re: XSL as a better XPointer
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:02:41 -0400
Chris Lilley wrote:

>Jonathan Borden wrote:
>
>> However, we see that with a few extensions, namely XQL, the XSL pattern
>> matching language (language #3) can serve as an effective XML pointer
>> description language. A range is a funny sort of 'pointer' in any case,
it
>> corresponds to a paired start location/pointer and end location/pointer.
>
>> This can be expressed as a pair of XSL/XQL patterns.
>
>Its not "funny"; it just means that the thing pointed to is not an
>entity. Thus, it indeed needs a pair of pointers.
>
>Two individual points is not the same as a range, although both may be
>indicated in the same way; how does XQL indicate two points (two
>pointers) as opposed to a range (pair of pointers)?

    Whether or not this is 'funny' depends on your sense of humor :-). I
used this terminology in the context of a specification named 'XPointer',
and to use my specific language *an effective XML pointer description
language*. We are including a range description in this language which is
fine, just to point out that the language goes beyond traditional pointers.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net