RE: Using node-sets in reverse document order?

Subject: RE: Using node-sets in reverse document order?
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:41:25 +0100
> The ancestor, ancestor-or-self, preceding, and preceding-sibling axes
> contain nodes in reverse document order.  How is it possible to
> iterate over the nodes in that order when xsl:for-each processes nodes
> in document order and xsl:sort sorts on string value, not document
> order?
>
> How can I do something ... that will order the selected
> nodes in reverse document order?

I don't think the (Apr 21) standard allows it (haven't had a chance to study
the July 9 version in detail).

You can do it in SAXON by exploiting the fact that generate-id() returns
identifiers that collate in document order. In fact I do this in the SAXON
XSL compiler, where I process the xsl:sort nodes below xsl:for-each or
xsl:apply-templates in reverse order, using exactly this technique.

Mike Kay