Re: Can XSL transform XML to RTF?

Subject: Re: Can XSL transform XML to RTF?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:15:58 +0100 (BST)
> Does the fact that XSL is XML limit me in some way?

Yes or no.

XML character data is _always_ _character_ data so those codepoints
that XML (inheriting from unicode) deems not to be a character, you can
not use directly, or via a numeric reference such as &#0;

However all is not lost. You could just print out a `character'
(probably ascii) representation of what you want, and then post process.

You could use any encoding that you wanted, for example the
quoted-printable mime encoding used for email which is something like
=HexValueOfCharacter
and == if you need an = character.

then you just mime decode your XSL output (or run it through sed;-)

> Is there a means of getting any random hex digit into
> the output tree?

Yes, and that is what you need above, eg you can get E into the
output tree fairly easily:-) You can't get a random byte into
the output tree though.

David