Re: FO. Is XSL FO realy XML? Re: attributes ordering

Subject: Re: FO. Is XSL FO realy XML? Re: attributes ordering
From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:42:27 -0700
Actually, THIS case with border properties is a problem. Both border-style
and border-top are equally specific.
  I am trying to ascertain whether CSS has a defined (non-order-based)
precedence when two shorthands have intersecting subproperties, but equal
"specificity". This situation can occur with cascading in CSS.

Shorthand:     border (1)         border-style (2)      border-top (3)
Expands to: border-top-weight
border-top-weight----> 3
            border-top-style     border-top-style     border-top-style
???
            border-top-color
border-top-color-----> 3
            border-left
weight---------------------------------------------> 1
            border-left-style    border-left-style-------------------------> 2
            border-left-color----------------------------------------------> 1

border-bottom-weight-------------------------------------------> 1
            border-bottom-style  border-bottom-style-----------------------> 2
            border-bottom-color--------------------------------------------> 1
            border-right weight--------------------------------------------> 1
            border-right-style   border-right-style------------------------> 2

border-right-color---------------------------------------------> 1

The example I gave does not have this problem.

At 13:25 1999-09-23 -0700, you wrote:

>Dear Stephen,
>
>Thank you very much for providing this information.
>
>Do I understand right that in the situation
>'border' + 'border-style'  + 'border-top'
>
>'border-style'  overrides 'border'  and  then
>'border-top' overrides 'border-style' ?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Rgds.Paul.
>
>PS. It appears that there could be at least 2 new sections
>in the WD. One section is 'inheritance' and another is
>'priority'.
>

>> This refers to the order the sub-properties are specified within the
>> border="..." property itself. The entire border="..." argument string is
>> treated as a single property by XSL.
>>
>> If one sets 'border' and 'border-start' and 'border-start-style' on the
>> same FO, they should be processed from least-qualified to most-qualified
>> (which happens to be the order that they are shown -- thus border sets up
>> tenative values for all sides, then border-start replaces the settings for
>> the start edge, finally border-start-style overrides the individual style
>> setting on the start-edge.)
>>
>> There are other "order-of-interpretation" issues which we are attempting to
>> identify. For example, font-size must be evaluated first, since EM-based
>> sizes depend on it.
>>
>> We need to add a section to the specification describing this.
>>

>> At 22:11 1999-09-22 -0700, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
>> >
>> ><WD>
>> >
>> >5.4 Common Border, Padding, and Background Properties
>> >
>> >5.4.31 border
>> >5.4.31.1 Allowed Values
>> ><'border-top-width'> || <'border-style'>> || <color>
>> >
>> >5.4.31.2 Description
>> >A shorthand property for setting border the properties of a block-area or
>> inline-area.
>> >
>> >The "border" property is a shorthand property for setting the same width,
>> color,
>> >and style for all four borders, top, bottom, left, and right, of a box.
>> >Unlike the shorthand "margin" and "padding" properties, the "border"
>> >property cannot set different values on the four borders. To do so,
>> >one or more of the other border properties must be used.
>> >Since, to some extent, the properties have overlapping functionality,
>> >the order in which the rules are specified is important.
>> ></WD>
>> >
>> >The last line requires processing to rely on the attribute order.
>> >( 'border'  is actualy attribute ).
>> >
>> >Rgds.Paul.

>> > paul@xxxxxxxxx   www.renderx.com   www.pault.com
>> > XMLTube * Perl/JavaConnector * PerlApplicationServer

>> This e-mail reflects the opinion of the Editor of the XSL (formatting
>>    objects) Specification. This is my interpretation of the
>>    current (majority) opinion of the portion of the XSL-WG that
>>    is working on formatting objects. It may not reflect the opinions
> [...]

---SDeach