Re: Extension functions in XT (was Re: HTML forms with XSLT slideshow question)

Subject: Re: Extension functions in XT (was Re: HTML forms with XSLT slideshow question)
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:25:31 -0400
> LotusXSL (www.alphaworks.ibm.com) also supports JavaScript, though I don't
> know how.  The included documentation page called "Extensibility
> Architecture" gives examples using both Java and JavaScript.

Lotus uses the Rhino package from Mozilla.
http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/index.html
Rhino is an excellent package, it can even compile the Javascript to Java
byte codes on the fly.

I'm building a system that integrates XT and Rhino, but I'm doing it with a
non-standard mechanism to address my specific needs. To implement it right
the XT servlet clones an instance per thread and Rhino doesn't support
cloning so there is no real simple solution. There are ways around the need
for cloning Rhino but they are complicated.

Lotus XSL avoided this problem by always interpreting the Java Script.
Therefore there is no state for Rhino to hold and no need to clone. But this
solution is too slow for a production servlet.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx