Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: Dylan Walsh <Dylan.Walsh@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:55:32 +0100
>Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:59:52 -0700
>From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

>We've had a lot of success with the "literal result element"
>kind of stylesheets.

<snip>

>Typically the page designers hand back pages with
>"123456" and "Xxxxx Yxxxx" in the places where the
>data goes.
>
>These just get replaced by appropriate <xsl:value-of> elements
>or attribute-value templates (for attributes) by the webmaster
>(or in some cases, by the more technical designers, too).

I would like to ask a question about this method. Has anyone used some
form of marker to idenify the places where the data goes, "123456" and
"Xxxxx Yxxxx" in the above example, so that the generation of the the
stylesheet can be automated?
What is the best way to do this? If you are using a particular XML
application, and you add a new tag to mark these places, the document no
longer conforms to the original DTD.
Has anyone found away around this? Such a solution might constitute the
beginning of a set of "Design Patterns" for XML/XSL, solutions to common
*design* problems (as opposed to technical problems). Does this sound
interesting to anyone?