Re: A theory problem

Subject: Re: A theory problem
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:33:37 +0700
A path expression has the property if

(a) it doesn't use / and the axis is a forward axis, or

(b) it is a / expression, and the left hand operand has the
"single-level" property and the right hand operand has the
"stays-in-subtree" property.

A path expression E has the "single-level" property if and only if for
any context node C, evaluating E wrt C yields a set of nodes all of
which have the same parent.

A path expression E has the "stays-in-subtree" property if and only if
for any context node C, evaluating E wrt C yields a set of nodes all of
which are in the subtree rooted at C (ie have C in their
ancestor-or-self axis).

It's easy to see this is a sufficient condition for the path expression
to have the property: if x and y have the same parent, and x is before y
in document order, then any node in the subtree rooted at x is before
any node in the subtree rooted at y.

XT implements this.