RE: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: RE: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 19:43:48 -0800
Regarding the portion of this thread having to do with xslt
implementation that doesn't require lots of memory....

Rather than subsetting XSLT, i think an interesting approach would
be a lookback window, sized in bytes or nodes or sax events.

Lets assume that the stylesheet is read into any data structure you
like, just once.

Now a moby xml instance arrives, and starts spewing sax events at you.

You start applying the stylesheet as soon as your window fills up,
and generate a runtime error if you happen to get to an operation that
requires you to exceed your window.

A static analysis of a stylesheet could indicate language that *might*
require lookback or full-document-scan, but that is overly aggressive,
relative to just waiting to see if for a particular instance it is
actually necessary.

-mda