Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: nimrod@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:40:05 +0200

Hi,

I've just noticed Olivier's post from about 2 weeks ago
(e-mail backlog and all that).

There are several issues to be discussed:
(a) The backend application (which handles steps 1 & 4);
(b) The frontend client; and
(c) The XML/XSL/... standards (DTD/Schema/...) for describing
    the UI and the data.

I certainly agree that (a) should be addressed by the
application servers, although without (b) and (c) they
will be locking into proprietary solutions.

There are several attempts at (b), each carrying their
own (non-standard, naturally) version of (c).  A few that
I'm aware of are the Mozilla XUL and XPToolkit (which is
highly Web-browser oriented), IBM's BML (which is highly
JavaBean oriented), and PDML (which comes from the AS/400
world with its own rendering engine).

All of the above couple (b) and (c) very tightly, which
is not a very open direction (especially if you think
about different platforms, such as PDAs etc.).
Moreover, none that I'm aware of pay any consideration to
representing the actual data (as opposed to the UI
description) and mixing it with the UI.

AFAIK, (c) is not targeted (by itself) by anyone.

Is anyone feeling like joining an effort for designing a
standard in this direction?  I think a properly designed
standard could benefit many applications, as well as help
direct the development of future UIs.

Please respond to the list or to me personally, and I'll
see if there's enough interest to start forming some
coordinated effort.

Nimrod.