RE: XSLT Question: Inserting a DOCTYPE decl

Subject: RE: XSLT Question: Inserting a DOCTYPE decl
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:58:53 -0000
> Which leads to a question for xsl 2 perhaps, why sren't the attributes
> of xsl:output AVT, so that you can use stylesheet parameters in there?
>
> In other words why can't this be made to work?
>
>      <xsl:output method="xml" doctype-system="string($doctype)"/>

The spec has generally avoided using AVTs in top-level elements, and indeed
has banned use of variables in some places where they were previously
allowed (such as in the patterns used in xsl:template and xsl:key) because
of the problems of circular definitions. It would have been easier, and more
extensible to multiple output files, if they had made <xsl:output> an
instruction, as I did with <saxon:output>.

Mike Kay